Associate Scientist, Biochemistry
What You’ll Do?
As an Associate Scientist for Biochemistry, you will serve Oerth Bio as an innovative, inquisitive, and motivated leader with strong problem-solving and analytical skills. You will focus on protein production and biochemical/biophysical assays. This person will work with the Senior Scientist of Biochemistry and Cell Biology and team, and will support the designing and developing methods to assess the binding affinity and functionality of PROTACs (in vitro model systems). This individual requires the ability to flourish in a fast-paced, fluid, and collaborative ag-tech environment.
Who You Are
- You have at least a Master’s Degree + 4-5 years of work experience, or a Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or a related discipline.
- You are comfortable with the design of expression vectors used for bacterial, insect, and mammalian cell culture at small and liter scale to produce recombinant proteins.
- You are proficient with purifying proteins, including challenging multi-subunit proteins and protein complexes.
- You have experience with characterizing proteins by analytical and biophysical methods including western blot, WES, aSEC, DLS to monitor conformation, oligomerization and stability, and have a strong understanding of protein chemistry and analytics.
- You have experience with high-throughput biochemical and biophysical assays (i.e. SPR), and in vitro functional studies,
- Additional experience with fungal or plant systems will be highly preferred.
- You are excited about characterizing the interactions between proteins and small molecule ligands or PROTACs.
- You are able to easily collaborate across the company to drive the development of efficacious PROTACs.
- You find it enjoyable to define and implement best practices in research and operational protocols.
- You enjoy troubleshooting scientific and technical challenges and contributing to their resolution.
- You are proficient with data analysis and have advanced skills with data analysis software (GraphPad Prism, Excel, etc).
- You can speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, present scientific ideas clearly,and conduct meetings efficiently.
- You have the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and deliverables within an entrepreneurial work setting, work through distractions, and meet aggressive deadlines.
Why Oerth Bio?
Oerth Bio (pronounced "Earth"), a joint venture between Bayer and Arvinas, is a well-funded early-stage agricultural biotechnology company. The Oerth Bio team is on a mission to deliver an entirely new model for global crop chemistry, addressing one of the greatest challenges facing the world: sustainably feeding the growing global population.
Farmers and consumers urgently need new crop protection tools. Oerth Bio leverages Avinas’ PROTAC® (PROteolysis TArgeting Chimera) protein degrader technology to create innovative and sustainable agricultural products. Our proprietary Targeted Protein Degradation platform can sustainably solve major challenges facing the global food system.
Oerth Bio’s headquarters is located in vibrant downtown Durham, NC close to many shops, restaurants and public transportation. The holder of this position is not expected to travel significantly.
This position will be located in the Durham, NC headquarters and will report to the Senior Scientist, Biophysics and Cell Biology.
Oerth Bio, LLC is proud to be an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, creed, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal laws.