Associate Scientist, Biochemistry (DEL Selection)
What You’ll Do?
As an Associate Scientist for Biochemistry, you will serve Oerth Bio as an innovative, inquisitive, and motivated leader with strong problem-solving and analytical skills.You will use your expertise in biochemistry and molecular biology to lead our internal DNA Encoded Library (DEL) screening efforts. This individual requires the ability to flourish in a fast paced, fluid, and collaborative ag-tech environment. This position will be located in the Durham, NC headquarters and will report to the Senior Scientist, Biochemistry and Cell Biology.
Who You Are
- You have at least a Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Cell Biology or a related discipline
- You will support and drive the discovery and advancement of targeted protein degraders (PROTAC® molecules) through DNA Encoded Library (DEL) screening for target and E3 ligase ligands.
- Target validation
- Selection design & format optimization
- Protein Immobilization
- Selection of DEL hits
- PCR amplification of DEL tags and prep. for NGS
- Coordinate and oversee NGS with external partner
- Assist in data analysis
- You will serve as point person for all equipment and projects related to DEL selection and peptide display including the purchase and set-up of laboratory equipment for DEL section and display and protein purification.
- You will support and drive the discovery and advancement of targeted protein degraders (PROTAC® molecules) through high-throughput biochemical and biophysical assays and in vitro functional studies.
- Additional experience with fungal or plant systems will be highly preferred.
- You are able to easily collaborate with other groups and departments to drive the development of efficacious PROTACs.
- You find it enjoyable to define and implement best practices in research and operational protocols.
- You are proficient with data analysis and curation and data analysis software (KNIME, R, Python, GraphPad Prism, Excel, etc).
- You can speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, present scientific ideas clearly, and conduct meetings efficiently.
- You have the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and deliverables within an entrepreneurial work setting, work through distractions, and meet aggressive deadlines.
- You are a motivated and organized critical thinker with solid interpersonal and business communication skills.
- You have the ability to manage through distractions, perform with changing priorities and aggressive deadlines.
Why Oerth Bio?
Oerth Bio (pronounced "Earth"), a joint venture between Bayer and Arvinas, is a well-funded early-stage agricultural biotechnology company. The Oerth Bio team is on a mission to deliver an entirely new model for global crop chemistry, addressing one of the greatest challenges facing the world: sustainably feeding the growing global population.
Farmers and consumers urgently need new crop protection tools. Oerth Bio leverages Avinas’ PROTAC® (PROteolysis TArgeting Chimera) protein degrader technology to create innovative and sustainable agricultural products. Our proprietary Targeted Protein Degradation platform can sustainably solve major challenges facing the global food system.
Oerth Bio’s headquarters is located in vibrant downtown Durham, NC close to many shops, restaurants and public transportation. The holder of this position is not expected to travel significantly.
Oerth Bio, LLC is proud to be an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, creed, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal laws.