Cell-Based Assay Development Scientist
Oerth Bio (pronounced "Earth"), a joint venture between Bayer and Arvinas, is an early-stage and highly well-funded agricultural biotechnology company. The Oerth Bio team will develop an entirely new model for global crop protection to address one of the greatest challenges facing the world: sustainably feeding the growing global population. Oerth Bio is committed to leveraging Arvinas’ PROTAC® (PROteolysis TArgeting Chimera) protein degrader technology to create innovative, safe, and sustainable agricultural products and evaluating the potential to address resistance mechanisms in plants to existing agricultural solutions, with solutions to control weeds, insects, diseases, and abiotic stressors by leveraging the selectivity and other features of PROTAC® protein degraders.
Oerth Bio’s headquarter, located in vibrant downtown Durham, NC, is close to many shops, restaurants, and public transportation. This position is not expected to travel significantly.
This position reports to the Cell Biology Group Leader.
Cell based assay development scientist will design and execute assays to evaluate the efficacy of PROTACs in vitro using several different cell lines. Execution of these assays is a critical step in our screening cascade before PROTACs are tested in multicellular organisms.
- High level of problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and work with sensitive data
- High Degree of Integrity
- Must be tactful and diplomatic with an emphasis on providing excellent internal customer service
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates group presentation skills, and conducts meetings
- Ability to partner with key stakeholders across the organization and with various scientific teams
- Exceptional communication, listening and presentation skills
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and deliverables within an entrepreneurial work setting
- Motivated and organized critical thinker with solid interpersonal and business communication skills
- Routinely communicate findings and information to other team members; transparency and knowledge sharing is expected and practiced
- Ability to manage through distractions, perform with changing priorities and aggressive deadlines
- Exercise excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Key Responsibilities, Including by not Limited to:
- Develop and optimize high-quality cell-based assays in medium- to high-throughput (96/384-well) formats based on expertise in molecular biology, stable cell line generation, Western blots, and reporter assays using various readouts (e.g., fluorescence, luminescence, BRET)
- Proactively analyze experimental data and integrate disparate data from other experiments, literature, and other colleagues to make informed decisions to improve existing or develop new assays
- Partner with chemistry and biology teams to troubleshoot through technical and scientific challenges to deliver critical data.
- Leverage knowledge of the ubiquitin-proteasome system and emerging principles of targeted protein degradation
- Maintain clear and meticulous experimental records
The Successful Applicant
- M.S. with 5+ years’ experience, or Ph.D. with 2+ years’ experience. Industry experience in cellular and molecular biology, cell-based assays, or excellent publication record demonstrating productivity in cell-based research is a plus.
- Strength in experimental design, execution, and data analysis using multiple assay platforms working with various cell systems e.g., plant, fungal, insect, fungal, mammalian
- Experience using automated liquid handlers, plate readers and associated software
- Expertise in cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry with emphasis on small molecules-protein interactions
- Experience measuring protein expression levels, turn-over and synthesis rates: western blot, ELISA, reporter assays, etc.
- Experience in molecular biology techniques: plasmid and cell line engineering
- Knowledge and understanding of the ubiquitin-proteasome system
- Knowledge of herbicide, insecticide, fungicides mode of action and relevant molecular assays approaches is a plus
- Experience in generating CRISPR/Cas9-mediated KO or KI cell lines is a plus
- Experience using ELN to capture experimental data and synthesize analytical summary in a timely manner
We offer a very competitive compensation package, consisting of salary, bonus, equity and benefits to all team members. For health benefits we pay 100% of employee and 80% of family premiums!
Oerth Bio, LLC is proud to be an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, creed, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal laws.