Disease Control Scientist
What You’ll Do?
The Disease Control Scientist will establish and cultivate Oerth Bio’s plant pathogenic fungal collection to evaluate PROTACs efficacy and mechanism of action in vivo. In this role you will be integral in the early phase development of PROTAC technology.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience with in vitro and in vivo fungal laboratory assay development, optimization, and validation. Experience in laboratory fungicidal screening projects and maintenance of diverse plant pathogenic fungi as an inoculum source is highly preferred.
You have at least a:
- B.S. with 5 years’ industry experience OR
- M.S. with 3 years’ industry experience OR
- PhD with 1 year post-doc experience
- You have worked with data analysis, interpretation, Excel, Prism and a bonus is experience with scripting.
- Preferred, but not required, is that you understand the agricultural culture and have experience in the ag industry
- You have on-plant fungal experience
- Protein detection experience (ELISA, Jesstern, Western, etc.) are familiar and in your wheelhouse as areas of expertise
- You are able to easily collaborate and flex with other groups within the organization as needed
- You find it enjoyable to create assays, phenotype screens, facilitating approvals, and determine processes
- You will establish cultures for any relevant fungal species
- You can speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrate group presentation skills and conduct meetings.
- You have the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and deliverables within an entrepreneurial work setting.
- You are a motivated and organized critical thinker with solid interpersonal and business communication skills.
- You have the ability to manage through distractions, perform with changing priorities and aggressive deadlines.
- You are able to work daily in the lab in Durham, NC.
Why Oerth Bio?
Oerth Bio (pronounced "Earth"), a joint venture between Bayer and Arvinas, is a well-funded early-stage agricultural biotechnology company. The Oerth Bio team is on a mission to deliver an entirely new model for global crop chemistry, addressing one of the greatest challenges facing the world: sustainably feeding the growing global population.
Farmers and consumers urgently need new crop protection tools. Oerth Bio leverages Avinas’ PROTAC® (PROteolysis TArgeting Chimera) protein degrader technology to create innovative and sustainable agricultural products. Our proprietary Targeted Protein Degradation platform can sustainably solve major challenges facing the global food system.
Oerth Bio’s headquarters is located in vibrant downtown Durham, NC close to many shops, restaurants and public transportation. The holder of this position is not expected to travel significantly.
This position will be located in Durham, NC and you will report to a team lead in the Biology Team. Oerthlings are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated and required to be vaccinated if they plan to work from the lab and/or office. Vaccinated employees will provide a copy of their vaccination card to our team so that this documentation is on file.
Oerth Bio, LLC is proud to be an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, creed, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal laws.