Group Leader, Biochemistry and Biophysics
What You’ll Do?
As a Group Leader for Biochemistry and Biophysics, you will serve Oerth Bio as an innovative, inquisitive, and motivated senior leader with strong problem-solving and analytical skills. You will direct and manage a team of on-site scientists designing and developing assays to assess ligand:protein interactions in various systems. This position requires the ability to flourish in a fast paced, fluid ag-tech and collaborative environment.
Who You Are
- You have a Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Biophysics or a related discipline with at least five years of relevant experience
- You possess 2+ years of leading, managing, and mentoring a team of scientists in a fast-paced matrixed organization
- You have a proven track record of developing biochemical and biophysical assays to profile compounds for structure activity relationships using binding affinity with high-throughput readouts, fluorescence assays, ALPHA-Lisa, etc.
- You have experience with the ubiquitin-proteasome system, or targeted protein degradation, preferred; knowledge of and experience with PROTACs preferred; strong expertise in biophysical techniques and agricultural discovery approaches preferred
- You are proficient with data analysis and curation and advanced skills with data analysis software (KNIME, R, Python, GraphPad Prism, Excel, etc.)
- You have experience leveraging multiple assay platforms to facilitate biophysical assays such as MST, SPR, fluorescence & luminescent plate readers, etc. Experience with automation is desirable
- You can design and execute an effective strategy for the development of high-throughput assays that enable a clear, reproducible assessment of ligand affinity
- You can develop plans and work easily with CROs and external collaborators to support project progression
- You find it enjoyable to define and implement best practices in research and operational protocols
- You easily communicate issues and findings on a consistent basis, make clear recommendations and strive for transparency and knowledge sharing
- Additional experience with fungal, plant and/or insect protein production is highly preferred
- You can easily collaborate with other groups within Biology and other departments to drive the development of efficacious PROTAC compounds
- You can manage priorities for yourself and group members while balancing competing priorities and aggressive deadlines
- You have an ability to lead a team, set experimental work plans and troubleshoot in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment of discovery
- You possess experience leading a team, coordinating multiple handoffs of work in transition, communication, workflow and logistics, ensuring the standard of work remains high; you are ready, willing, and able to “jump in” at the bench to support the team
- You can speak clearly and persuasively in various situations, demonstrate group presentation skills and conduct meetings
- You are a motivated and organized critical thinker with solid interpersonal and business communication skills
Why Oerth Bio?
Oerth Bio (pronounced "Earth"), a joint venture between Bayer and Arvinas, is a well-funded early-stage agricultural biotechnology company. The Oerth Bio team is on a mission to deliver an entirely new model for global crop chemistry, addressing one of the greatest challenges facing the world: sustainably feeding the growing global population.
Farmers and consumers urgently need new crop protection tools. Oerth Bio leverages Avinas’ PROTAC® (PROteolysis TArgeting Chimera) protein degrader technology to create innovative and sustainable agricultural products. Our proprietary Targeted Protein Degradation platform can sustainably solve major challenges facing the global food system.
Oerth Bio’s headquarters is located in vibrant downtown Durham, NC close to many shops, restaurants and public transportation. The holder of this position is not expected to travel significantly.
This position will be located in the Durham, NC headquarters and will report to the Senior Director, Biology.
Oerth Bio, LLC is proud to be an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, creed, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal laws.