What You’ll Do?
As a Biochemistry Associate Scientist, you will serve Oerth Bio as an innovative, inquisitive, and motivated team player with strong problem-solving and analytical skills. In this role your focus will be the purification and expression of proteins from E. coli following established protocols. This includes down-stream protein characterization using a variety of biochemical approaches as well as accurate and detailed documentation of the conducted laboratory work. In addition to protein production, you will support screening of small molecules in binding assays. In this position you will support general lab equipment maintenance, inventory & ordering of consumables, as well as maintenance of electronic protein and plasmid inventories.
This role requires excellent communication and organizational skills. This individual requires the ability to flourish in a fast paced, fluid ag-tech and collaborative environment.
Who You Are:
- You have at least a B.S. with 1-3 years research experience, or an M.S with 1+ year experience. Independent research experience demonstrated by a completed thesis is strongly preferred.
- You have hands-on experience in recombinant protein expression in E. coli and protein purification using techniques such as affinity, ion exchange or size exclusion chromatography.
- You are experienced in performing and interpreting data from standard protein characterization methods such as SDS‑PAGE and Western Blotting.
- You have theoretical knowledge and ideally practical experience in performing and interpreting binding affinity assays.
- Experience in protein labeling techniques such as biotinylation or fluorescence-tagging would be advantageous.
- You are proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience in data analysis using Graphpad or similar software is preferred.
- You are a team player that enjoys working closely with others.
- You speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- You communicate ideas effectively in group meetings.
- You are detail-oriented and possess excellent organizational skills.
- You are capable of balancing competing priorities while following protocols and adhering to a set experimental schedule.
Why Oerth Bio?
Oerth Bio (pronounced "Earth"), a joint venture between Bayer and Arvinas, is a well-funded early-stage agricultural biotechnology company. The Oerth Bio team is on a mission to deliver an entirely new model for global crop chemistry, addressing one of the greatest challenges facing the world: sustainably feeding the growing global population.
Farmers and consumers urgently need new crop protection tools. Oerth Bio leverages Avinas’ PROTAC® (PROteolysis TArgeting Chimera) protein degrader technology to create innovative and sustainable agricultural products.
Oerth Bio’s headquarters is located in vibrant downtown Durham, NC close to many shops, restaurants and public transportation. The holder of this position is not expected to travel significantly.
This position will be located Durham, NC. Oerthlings are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated and required to be vaccinated if they plan to work from the lab and/or office. Vaccinated employees should provide a copy of their vaccination card to Leanne Lemyre (email@example.com) so that this documentation is on file. If you have not been vaccinated, we ask that you work with your manager to arrange to work remotely until such time when you are vaccinated.
Oerth Bio, LLC is proud to be an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, creed, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal laws.