What You will Do:
As a Fungal Molecular Biologist, you will serve Oerth Bio as an innovative, inquisitive, and motivated leader with strong problem-solving and analytical skills. You will focus on a specific technique in isolating the plant protein from the leaves. This person will work with the Sr. Director, Degradation Mechanisms, and direct team, and will be owning fungal degradation assay and assessment of antibodies. This role will also develop molecular tools and assays to confirm degradation MoA in model crop pathogenic fungal species. Developing tools and assays to verify ligase function in fungal cell system will also be handled by this person.
Who You Are:
- You have at least a Ph.D. and 2+ years of experience.
- You have experience with assay development in fungal species.
- You have experience transforming or generating stable lines of crop fungal pathogens, such as Botrytis, Septoria, Magnaporthe, etc.
- You are comfortable with owning confirmation of deg mechanism in fungus and / or model systems and in disease control.
- You are comfortable designing protein constructs for overexpression, tagging, knockdown experiments.
- You are comfortable designing and cloning ligases for nanobody type of experiments to assess for functionality.
- You understand the ligase pipeline and serve as thought partner for data science activities and portfolio strategy.
- You have knowledge of fungal expression and cloning systems (vectors, promoters, etc.).
- You have basic bioinformatics homology search experience.
- Additional experience in recombinant protein expression in yeast will be highly preferred.
- Additional knowledge of yeast genetics and mol bio preferred.
- You are comfortable assessing PROTAC moa through biochemistry/pull down/mass spec type experiments: western, ELISA.
- You can easily collaborate with other groups within biology.
- You are proficient with data analysis and statistics.
- You have a chemistry / biochemistry understanding that is sufficient to communicate with the rest of the team.
- You are a quick learner, with a statistical mindset and flexible thinking.
- You can speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrate group presentation skills, and conduct meetings.
- You can effectively manage multiple priorities and deliverables within an entrepreneurial work setting.
- You are a motivated and organized critical thinker with solid interpersonal and business communication skills.
- You can manage through distractions, perform with changing priorities and aggressive deadlines.
Why Oerth Bio?
Oerth Bio (pronounced "Earth"), a joint venture between Bayer and Arvinas, is a well-funded early-stage agricultural biotechnology company. The Oerth Bio team is on a mission to deliver an entirely new model for global crop chemistry, addressing one of the greatest challenges facing the world: sustainably feeding the growing global population.
Farmers and consumers urgently need new crop protection tools. Oerth Bio leverages Avinas’ PROTAC® (PROteolysis TArgeting Chimera) protein degrader technology to create innovative and sustainable agricultural products. Our proprietary Targeted Protein Degradation platform can sustainably solve major challenges facing the global food system.
Oerth Bio’s headquarters is in vibrant downtown Durham, NC close to many shops, restaurants, and public transportation. The holder of this position is not expected to travel significantly.
This position will be in Durham and will report to the Sr. Director, Degradation Mechanisms. Oerthlings are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated and required to be vaccinated if they plan to work from the lab and/or office. Vaccinated employees should provide a copy of their vaccination card to Leanne Lemyre (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that this documentation is on file. If you have not been vaccinated, we ask that you work with your manager to arrange to work remotely until such time when you are vaccinated.
Oerth Bio, LLC is proud to be an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, creed, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal laws.